Scotland enters into another nationwide lockdown as new COVID-19 cases surge

Scotland enters into another nationwide lockdown as new COVID-19 cases surge

Scotland has decided to enter another nationwide lockdown, given the sudden surge in COVID-19 cases, which is likely to last until spring. The announcement was made by Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, wherein she said that a new lockdown would be introduced at midnight. The faster-spreading strain of the virus that was found in the UK a few days back has entered several countries across the globe now, including Scotland.

The new curbs imposed in the country will make Scots stay at home and work from home. There is a complete restriction on outdoor gatherings and people are only allowed to meet one person from one other household.

The new rules say that people will only be allowed to go out of their houses in case of an emergency or for essential purposes like grocery shopping, medical purposes or exercise and caring responsibilities.

In addition, all religious centres and places of worship have been shut down. The government has also closed the schools and banned group exercise anywhere. These new curbs will stay in order until the end of January. The island regions will also be monitored carefully.

Scotland reported 1905 fresh COVID-19 infections on Monday. Commenting on the new starin, the First Minister said, “More concerned about the situation we face now than I have been at any time since March last year.”

She also mentioned that the steeply rising trend of infections is putting pressure on NHS services and that the hospitals in the country could overrun with new cases in coming three to four weeks.

Read More —> Source link